17 December 2011

I don't get out into literary territory much

and it shows.  I am currently reading Aït-Touati's Science and Literature in the Seventeenth Century (which is already turning out to be wonderful), and the author informs the reader that she will be using, among other things narratology as a tool.  I was totally unaware of its existence as a conceptual tool.  In that, I can seek solace in the fact that MS Word's spell check tool also was unaware of the word, though that is of little comfort.

Although, now that I think back, I feel that perhaps Hayden White might have talked about it in Metahistory, a book which I was assigned to read, but never really did. But, there was stuff about literature in there. Hmmm... irony, metaphor, metonymy, and synecdoche, or something like that?    And a chart.  And him writing in the ironic mode.  But not in Williamsburg, and possibly not with a mustache. Although there were a lot of words, or that I am quite certain.  That is all I remember from the hour or so I spent skimming the book.  So it is entirely possible that it discussed narratology, or even was about narratology, or even was about tail-chasing piglets on their way to the zoo. All I know is that I am ba bad student, and did not read it with the diligence it was most certainly due.  And yet, I am sill in my program.  Strange, how these things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment